Tuesday, April 22, 2008

My Olympus SW790

Some of you may wonder what type of camera I'm using. FYI, I'm currently using an Olympus SW790 point and shoot camera. I'm still paying for this baby as of the moment. I'll be able to fully pay it after 7 months.

But just to set everybody's expectations, the snapshots in this site are taken by different types of cameras; from Kodak to Sony, from Canon to some generic brands. These shots are just being archived in some networking site that I want to reach out to more people for the sake of sharing some pictures I've taken as I also want to learn more about this craft.

Photobucket
My baby: Olympus SW790

Some of you may wonder why I chose this type of camera and why not purchase a professional one. Here are some explanations.

  • I can't afford to buy a professional camera. I can't even pay for my schooling, much more can I buy a DSLR.
  • I'm still a newbie, so I want to learn some basic techniques without compromising myself as I needed something handy.
  • I like something that would stay with me at times that I might get wet. I like to go out on trips *ehem* budgeted trips, so this camera is perfect for my outdoorsy personality. I like to go out to the beach usually, that's why sometimes I get invited mainly because of my camera and not really me. hehe. Kidding. Lastly,

  • because it's what most people recommended, hehe. Really, I needed something waterproof cause aside from being able to capture underwater shots, I wanted peace of mind with regard to suddenly getting my camera wet. At least, I won't have to worry about keeping it dry.


Honestly, I was contemplating whether I should buy the Pentax W30 over this Olympus SW790 because the former is cheaper. Anyway, for a detailed entry of how I was able to choose this model over that Pentax w30.

Please check out the link below.

Olympus SW790 vs Pentax W30 - 2 underwater cameras

I wish to purchase a professional DSLR, however, I need to save up for it first as it's also not my main agenda right now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I went with a Pentax W30, solely on the video capture. I debated the two for a while.

I also love the SD card, rather than xD. Just plug it into the PC and play.

The W30 records movies in .MOV format, which I'm not a big fan of, but I've found an easy way to convert them to .WMV, .MPG, or .AVI.

Thanks for the post.

Edcel said...

@bogley: thanks for dropping by!

Yeah, I didn't like the idea that Olympus would only take a 10-second clip at 640x480 resolution.

but that's about it. hehe.